When you need vision correction eyewear, you have a lot of choices. You can choose between contact lenses and glasses. The options you have can be overwhelming. As you try to pick out eyeglasses in Arlington, VA, and the surrounding area, you need to consider a few important factors, such as your lifestyle, frame shape and frame color.
Before you really start looking at frames, you need to think about how you live your life. You may be able to find glasses that complement an active, social, gaming or professional lifestyle. Glasses can be an extension of your personality, which is why it is so important to consider your lifestyle as you pick out your new eyewear.
The shape of the frame should contrast the shape of your face. What shape is right for you?
- Square Face: Frames with a round or oval shape may be best because they soften the angles.
- Round Face: Rectangular and square frames may help make a round face look slimmer.
- Diamond Face: Cat eye and oval frames help accentuate cheekbones and complement narrow foreheads.
- Oval Face: Geometric shapes and glasses with a strong bridge may help widen an oval face shape.
- Heart-Shaped Face: Frames with rounded edges, such as rounded squares or round frames, may be best because they balance out the width of the forehead.
As you look at the different shapes at your next comprehensive eye exam, remember you can pick whatever you like best.
While you want the shape of the frame to contrast your face, the color should complement your skin tone. A cool skin tone, such as one with pink or blue undertones, may be best served by glasses with pink, gray, purple, black, silver, dark tortoise or mauve colors. Someone with bronze, golden or yellow undertones, on the other hand, should search for olive green, light tortoise, brown, beige or gold colored frames. Your optometrist may be able to help you make a smart choice.